We are announcing today that we are discontinuing support for the trusty old GDocs/GDrive version of MobisleNotes for Android, and instead transferring all our paying users to the much improved New MobisleNotes, with free Premium subscriptions to all.
There are several reasons for phasing out Google Docs/Drive support. Let me walk you through it:
- The Google Docs/Drive APIs have given us a lot of problems in the past, and the latest change to the API from Docs to Drive, which broke the sync for many of our users, was the last straw.
- MobisleNotes’ app concept is about seamless switching between checklists and plain text, and Google Docs only does plain text. So the Google Docs sync has always been a compromise. And yes, there is Google Tasks, but it’s a whole other service, and pressing the switcher in the app to go to checklist mode would therefore move the whole note to another service, which of course will not fly.
- One of our core ideas was also to be able to sync notes between all your devices, not just Android, and implementing Google Docs sync on iOS or Windows Phone is much more inconvenient than on Android.
- All of this made us set out to build our sync service, 100% tailored to our own vision and needs for MobisleNotes. Now we’ve built it, and have the whole ecosystem under our own roof, which we’re really happy with. We can add any features we want, and if anything breaks we know it’s on us, not because of changes with Google. But the problem is we’re now sitting on two apps with two different sync services, which means double the support. And we’re just running the numbers: We’re running into more problems with the Google sync than our own, and we have several times more users on New MobisleNotes than MobisleNotes GDrive.
With all that said, our Google Drive users are paying users, and we’re not just going to abandon them. So, we’ve done a final update to MobisleNotes GDrive to make it work great with the current Google Drive API, so the users that are just hell-bent on Google Apps get what they’ve paid for. AND For the GDrive users that understand the benefits and are happy with switching to MobisleNotes sync, we’ve got some free Premium service coming your way.
We hope this setup will make the very most of our users happy. That’s top priority. And we hope you understand where we’re coming from.
In order to transfer your notes to New MobisleNotes and get your Premium subscription, please follow these instructions:
1. Download the free New MobisleNotes from here:
2. Create a new sync account (done from the introduction screen or from Settings)
3. Get back to us (at support at mobislenotes dot com) with the e-mail you used to sign up for the account and we’ll upgrade it to a Premium account.
4. Go into Settings and choose option Restore backup to get your notes from MobisleNotes Gdrive.